– Basic course
This course provides a general introduction to fatigue of welded structures and machine components. Typical fatigue failures are reviewed and the causes are discussed. Important factors that determine fatigue endurance are explained. Basic aspects of fatigue crack initiation and the propagation of cracks are treated and life prediction methodologies are illustrated. Special topics regarding fatigue of offshore structures and windmills are covered in the course.
- Examples of fatigue failures
- Dominating factors that influence fatigue life
- Stress concentrations and defects
- Thickness effects
- Environmental effects
- Fatigue testing and S-N curves
- Loading data and stress spectra
- Fatigue design methods:
- Design rules and standards, e.g. NORSOK, DNV, Eurocode 3, IIW
- Worked examples and problems
The course is suitable for engineers who need a basic introduction to fatigue and fatigue life evaluation of machine components and welded structures.
The course lecturer is Professor P. J. Haagensen, NTNU,
unless noted otherwise in the program
The course is held in English